Zafrani Mughlai Chicken is a rich chicken curry cooked with cashew nut paste and spices and flavoured with saffron. This is a rich traditional authentic royal recipe, also one of my personal favourites! It’s so full of rich flavours that you’ll be going back for more. Pair it with Butter Nan and it’s an absolute delight!!
1 kg Chicken (Cut in to small pieces)
12 Strands Saffron (Soaked in 2 tbsp warm milk)
3 Tbsp Ghee
2 Tbsp Oil
2 Black Cardamom
2 Green Cardamom
5 Black peppercorns
1 Inch Cinnamon
2 Tsp Ginger paste
2 Tsp Garlic Paste
2 Onions, fried golden brown
12 Cashew Nuts (Soaked in warm water)
2 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
2 Tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
1 Tsp Salt or to taste
1/4 Cup yogurt (Whisked with 1tsp chickpea flour)
2-3 Drops Kewra Essence
1/2 Tsp Cardamom powder
1. Heat ghee and oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add black cardamom, green cardamom, black peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon stick and fry for a few seconds.
2. Add chicken and fry on high heat for 3-4 minutes.
3. Blend the fried onions and cashew nuts with little water to make a paste.
4. Add the cashew nut paste in the pan along with ginger garlic paste, yogurt, Kashmiri red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt.
5. Add 1/2 cup of water and cover the pan and cook on a low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
6. Now add kewra essence, cardamom powder and saffron soaked in milk and cook for another minute. Garnish with golden fried onions, almond flakes and saffron strands.
Serve with Butter Nan or Rice.
TRIED AND LOVED THIS RECIPE?