VEGETABLE KOFTA CURRY (Vegan Option)
Delicious creamy restaurant style vegetable kofta curry. Also a vegan option.
This restaurant quality dish features spiced veggie cakes in a rich, tangy gravy. It’s an indulgent treat that’s suitable for vegans and vegetarians, but everyone will be asking for second helpings! For non-vegans, there’s the option to add a little paneer, too. Vegetable kofta is best enjoyed with chapatis, roti’s or warm nan bread.
For the VEGETABLE KOFTA
1 medium bell pepper
1 medium potato
1.25 cups cauliflower florets, chopped
1/3 cup frozen green peas
¼ cup grated vegan cheese or paneer - (optional)
¼ teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
¼ teaspoon coriander powder
¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup gram flour
salt as required
oil for deep frying, as required
for the CURRY SAUCE
3 tablespoons oil or ghee (vegetable or coconut oil for the Vegan option)
1 bay leaf
1 green cardamom
2 single strands of mace
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
3 tablespoons yogurt or Vegan yogurt
1.5 cups water or add as required
¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
¼ teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves
2 tablespoons of cream or (coconut milk for the vegan option)
1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
salt to taste
2 large onions, roughly chopped onions
1 green chilli
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 tablespoon minced ginger 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
12 cashew nuts
Making the VEGETABLE KOFTA
1. Grate or mince all vegetables in a food processor or a food chopper or with a grater.
2. Add the vegetable mixture in to a bowl. Add ¼ cup grated cheese or paneer, (optional). For the vegan option either skip adding cheese or paneer and or opt for vegan cheese.
3. Then add ¼ teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder, ¼ teaspoon coriander powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder and ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder, ½ cup gram flour and salt to taste.
4. Mix well. If the mixture appears a little watery, then add a little more gram flour to a thicker/firmer consistency.
5. Make medium sized balls from the vegetable mixture and set aside.
6. In a pan add 4-6 tbsp oil or more and heat on a medium heat. When the oil is hot place the vegetable kofta ball in the pan gently. Add as many depending on the size pan. Do not over crowd.
7. To avoid breaking turn only when one side is crisp golden brown. Turn over a couple of times for even frying. Remove with a slotted spoon and place them on kitchen paper towels. Set aside.
Making the SAUCE
8. Heat 3 tablespoons oil or ghee in a pan. Add 1 bay leaf,1 green cardamom and 2 single strands of mace. Sauté for a few seconds till the spices splutter.
9. Then add the onions and sauté on a medium heat stirring often and until the onions become golden brown. Then add the tomatoes and mix well.
10. Next add the cashew nuts. Mix again and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium heat, stirring often. Now transfer the mixer to a blender and blend to a smooth consistency.
11. Then transfer the paste back to the pan on a low heat and add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder and mix well. Now add 3 tablespoons yogurt or vegan yogurt for the vegan option, making sure you stir briskly and while you are adding the yogurt so it doesn't curdle.
12. Now continue to cook for a few minutes, until you can see oil or ghee releasing from the sides. The sauce will reduce and you will see oil releasing from the sauce.
13. Now add 1.5 cups water or as required. For a thicker sauce, you can add 1 to 1.25 cups water. Season with salt. Bring the sauce to a simmer on low to a heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Once the sauce is done, it will reduce slightly and you will see specks of oil floating on top.
14. Add ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder, ¼ teaspoon fenugreek leaves and 2 tablespoons of cream and mix very well. (Cream is optional and can be skipped.) Now add the vegetable kofta to the sauce garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Serve with Rice, Roti or Nan.
TRIED AND LOVED THIS RECIPE?
If you have tried this recipe and like it, then please do share the recipe link on facebook, twitter & pinterest. For Instagram mention @cookwithimtiaz or Tag #cookwithimtiaz