1 lb approx 500 grams of baby aubergines, about 10 baby aubergine or 4 large aubergines 1 cup desiccated coconut toasted 1/2 cup peanuts toasted 1.5 cups onions chopped 1 cup tomatoes finely chopped a handful of cilantro finely chopped 1 tbsp garlic paste 1.5 tsp red chilli powder 1/2 tsp turmeric powder 1 tsp garam masala salt to taste 3 to 4 tbsp oil
1. Wash the aubergines well. Trim off a little of the stem. Slit the aubergines vertically into 4 from the bottom, right up to the stem keeping it intact. Place the slit aubergine in salted water for about 15-20 minutes.
2. meanwhile prepare the stuffing, toast the peanuts in a dry pan on low heat, set aside. Toast the desiccated coconut in a dry pan on low heat until golden brown set aside.
3. Chop the onions, and saute in little oil until translucent. Set it aside, let it come to room temperature. Add to your food processor and grind the toasted desiccated coconut, onions, garlic, and toasted peanuts to make a coarse mixture. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water if required. Do not grind to a fine paste.
4. To the above mixture, add chopped tomato, turmeric, chilli powder, cilantro, garam masala, and salt as required, and mix everything well. Stuff each aubergine generously with this prepared mixture. You will have some leftover mixture, set that to one side.
5. Heat oil in a pan, when the oil is hot enough, add the stuffed aubergine gently, sprinkle a little salt (go easy on the salt, as we have already added in the stuffing mixture) shallow fry it on low heat for about 5-7 minutes carefully turning sides once in between, do not stir.
6. Now add 1 cup of water to the leftover mixture, mix it well. Pour this gently into the pan around the aubergines, do not stir, cover the pan, let it simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes, or until the aubergines are cooked through and soft. Once the oil separates in the sauce the dish is ready.
Garnish with cilantro.
Serve with Rice, Roti or Nan.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?