500g fresh okra 3 tbsp oil 1 medium-size onion, chopped 1 tsp ginger paste 1 tsp garlic paste 2 medium-size tomatoes, chopped 1 tsp coriander powder ½ tsp red chilli powder or to taste ½ tsp turmeric powder ½ tsp garam masala powder salt as required ½ tsp Kasuri methi, (dry fenugreek leaves ) - optional 2 tsp chopped cilantro leaves
1. Rinse the bhindi (okra) well in water and dry them with a kitchen towel. Remove the base and stalk while chopping the bhindi. chop into 1 or 2 inch pieces.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add the bhindi and saute stirring often till they are completely cooked. You will have to keep an eye on them and stir in between many times.
3. Taste the bhindi and if the crunchiness has gone and the bhindi has become soft, it means they are cooked. Keep the sauteed bhindi aside.
4. Add 1 tbsp oil to the same pan add chopped onions and fry till they become translucent then add the ginger-garlic paste and saute for ½ minute.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes become soft and mushy. If the tomato mixture becomes too dry and starts sticking to the pan, then add about ¼ cup water. Mix well and continue to cook.
6. Add all the dry spices, mix well and saute for a few seconds. Add the sautéed bhindi, crushed Kasuri methi & salt, mix so that the onion-tomato masala coats the bhindi well.
7. Cook for about 2 minutes stirring in between and then add the chopped cilantro.
Serve with Roti or Nan.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?