BESAN & ATTA KI ROTI (Vegan Chickpea Flatbread)
Popular throughout Northern India, these chickpea rotis are the perfect accompaniment to dals and
curries. I like to add spices to enhance the delightfully nutty flavour of the gram (chickpea) flour, and
you can also give them some heat with a little chilli powder.
2 cups Gram flour 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder or to your taste (optional) 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp Carom seeds 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder 1 Onion, finely chopped 1 Green Chilli, finely chopped or to your taste (optional) 1/2 cup Cilantro Leaves, finely chopped Ghee, or oil for cooking
1. Combine all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl (except the oil or ghee). Add a little water at a time and knead to make a smooth dough. Drizzle a teaspoon of oil over the dough and knead for a couple of minutes until smooth and firm.
2. Divide the dough into 10 portions. Preheat the Tawa (Chapatti Pan or any flat pan) on medium heat.
3. Roll each portion of the dough, but dusting in flour into a thin circle. The thickness of the roti will be based on how thin you can roll it.
4. Once rolled, place on the Tawa and allow it to cook for a few seconds. Once you see air bubbles popping out, flip and turn. Smear ghee or oil over the roti and cook on both sides until browned and lightly crisp.
5. Once done, remove from the Tawa and proceed the same way with the remaining portions of the dough.
Serve with any curry dish, Sweet & Spicy Tomato Chutney and or Kachumber Salad.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you have made the recipe and like it, then please do share the recipe link on facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. For Instagram mention @cookwithimtiaz or Tag #cookwithimtiaz