Urad Tadka Dal has always been a firm favoured lentil dish in my family. Dal is a staple dish in most Indian and Pakistani meals and, for vegetarians, a frequent source of protein. This delicious, nourishing dish can also serve as a side dish to accompany a variety of Main courses.
1 cup urad dal, washed
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
2 cups water
3 tbsp ghee or oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1 tomato pureed
1/2 tsp cumin seeds or ground cumin
1/8 tsp asafoetida
1-2 dried red chillies
1/2 tsp red kashmiri chilli powder
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
1 tbsp chopped coriander for garnish
1. Wash and soak urad dal for at least 20 minutes. Dal will be double in volume after soaking. Drain the water.
2. In a pan add the water and the dal, bring to boil, add the salt, turmeric powder, and chilli powder. Cover and cook on medium high heat until the dal is cooked. The dal should be soft. If needed add more water, dal should be not very mushy you should be able to see the grains. Dal will also thicken after cooking. So leave it more liquid than you want it to be.
3. Heat ghee/oil in a small saucepan. Add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes, add the garlic and ginger paste and saute for 2 minuets.
4. Add the asafoetida, cumin seeds or ground cumin, dried red chillies, red kashmiri chilli powder, garam masala, ground coriander and dried red chilies. Saute for 1 minuet.
5. Add the pureed tomatoes and saute for 2 minuets. Now add the dal to the sauce, sprinkle with dried fenugreek leaves and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with any Rice, Nan or Roti.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?