Spiced Potatoes with Cauliflower. This Aloo Gobi is packed with flavours, super comforting, vegan and simply the best aloo gobi you will ever have! Aloo gobi (potatoes & cauliflower) is a popular Indian dish in which potatoes and cauliflower are cooked with onions, tomatoes and spices. This dish can be made in several ways, the aloo gobi recipe that I am sharing today is my own special variations with a special twist of saffron and also my favorite versions of the dish.
480g cauliflower cut into small florets 260g potatoes, cut in to cubes 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 tomatoes, pureed Pinch of asafoetida 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds 1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste 1-2 green chillies slit lengthwise (optional)
1 tsp chilli powder 1/2 tsp turmeric powder 1 ½ tbsp coriander powder Salt to taste Handful of coriander for garnish finely chopped 6 stands of saffron mixed with1/2 cup of plain natural yogurt or water or vegan yogurt for vegan option 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves ½” ginger slivers for garnish
1. In a non stick large heavy bottom saucepan heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the hing and cumin seeds. Fry for a minute followed by the ginger paste and slit green chillies. Fry for 20 seconds.
2. Now add the the onions and saute for 3 minuets until golden brown, add the garlic and saute for a further 20 seconds. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and frying for a few seconds.
3. Add the pureed tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes, now add the salt and the potatoes and and saute for 5 minuets with the lid on. Now add the cauliflower florets and stir well over a medium heat for a minute making sure the florets are coated in the spices well.
4. Add the saffron yogurt/water and stir. Turn the heat to a low setting and cook for 15-17 minutes with a lid on. Make sure to stir halfway through cooking.
5. Add the boiled potatoes and mix well, add a little water for required consistency. Add the fresh coriander leaves, dried fenugreek leaves and ginger slivers. Cook for a further 2 minutes with the lid on.
Serve with rice, nan or roti.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?