seasoned with grated ginger and turmeric, this saag aloo recipe makes a delicious side dish for any curry. Packed with the wholesome goodness of spinach and potatoes and plenty of flavour from the garlic, chilli and spices, it makes a perfect side.
This mouth-watering dish is super easy to make at home using handful of ingredients and plenty of spices. Pair my classic saag aloo with another traditional Indian side like tarka dal.
4 medium potatoes, small wedges 1 large onion chopped, sliced 1/2 tsp ground coriander 1 tsp garam masala 1/2 tsp turmeric powder 1 tsp chilli powder 3 tablespoons oil or coconut oil 1 teaspoon cumin seeds 1 fresh green chilli, seeded and finely chopped (optional) 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced 1tsp fresh garlic, minced 1 medium tomato, finely chopped 450 g fresh spinach salt to taste
1. Remove the skin from the potatoes and cut into small wedges.
2. Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until golden brown, add the potatoes and fry until they are golden brown, gently stirring often, about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and toss in the fresh chilies (if using), ginger and garlic stir for a minute. Now add all the ground spices and salt and continue to stir for another few minutes.
4. Now add the tomato and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the tomato has thickened and the liquid has evaporated.
5. Stir in the spinach a few handfuls at a time, until each handful is slightly wilted and simmer for about 10 -15 minutes, stirring occasionally until potatoes are soft.
Serve with Paratha, Nan or Rice.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?