PAKISTANI CHICKEN PILAU
Featuring succulent chicken, caramelised onion and a delicate blend of spices, this is no ordinary rice dish! The pilau is cooked with a special chicken broth, which adds real richness and flavour to the rice. It’s hearty enough to enjoy as a meal in its own right, and tastes delicious with some raita on the side.
for the CHICKEN STOCK
1 kg chicken, on the bone 2 tbsp coriander seeds 2 tbsp black peppercorns 3 garlic cloves 2 bay leaf 1 medium stick cinnamon 2 black cardamoms 1 star anise 1 onion 1 tsp salt 6.5 cups of water
for the RICE
1. First, we make the stock. Add the chicken, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, garlic cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamoms, star anise, 1tsp salt, and 1 onion roughly chopped. Add 6.5 cups of water, bring to a boil, cover, and allow to simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
2. Now, strain the stock and set aside for later. Take out the pieces of chicken and also set aside.
You can discard the whole spices. Don't worry if there are some spices sticking to the chicken.
3. In the same pan, heat 2tbsp of oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and saute till they are brown, add the fresh red chilli and fry for 30 seconds then remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Now, add 2tbsp oil, when hot add a little salt to taste and the chicken (be careful as it may spit) saute the chicken until golden brown and then remove the chicken from the pan and set aside, to the same pan add 1 tsp pureed garlic, saute for 30 seconds on medium heat, then add 1 tsp garam masala, 2 tsp cumin seeds and saute for a further 30 seconds. Then add 1 chopped or pureed tomato and cook for 4-5 mins.
5. Now add the 6 cups of stock which you prepared earlier, you may add a little water if you do not have the full 6 cups of stock. Bring to a boil, and add the soaked rice and the 3-4 tsp of salt to taste, cover and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes until the stock evaporates.
6. Now add the pieces of chicken and the caramelised onion you prepared earlier, cover and cook on low heat for a further 10 minutes, turn off the heat and let the rice rest for 10 mins. Do not take the lid off. Once rested take off the lid and fluff the rice up and serve.
Serve with any curry, raita, and a chutney of your choice.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you have made the recipe and like it, then please do share the recipe link on facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. For Instagram mention @cookwithimtiaz or Tag #cookwithimtiaz