MUSHROOM PILAU (Vegan)
Delicately spiced and aromatic, this style of rice is infused with flavours of earthy mushroom,
fragrant saffron and decadent flakes of toasted almond. It’s the perfect side dish if you want to wow your dinner guests - or take a family meal to the next level!
1 small piece cinnamon stick 6 cloves 3 dried bay leaves 75g almond slivers (optional) 1 tsp salt ¾ litres cold water 1 tsp garam masala fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1. Wash the rice in several changes of cold water until the water runs clear and set to one side.
2. Soak the saffron strands in water and set aside. Rinse the mushrooms and cut them in half lengthways.
3. Heat the ghee or oil in a wide heavy-bottomed pan and add the whole spices with the bay leaves. Stir for a few minutes until you can smell the fragrance from the spices.
4. Stir in the sliced onions and cook for about 5 minutes before adding the ginger.
5. Now add the prepared mushrooms and almonds, and sauté for a couple of minutes until the nuts begin to brown.
6. Add the washed rice to the mushroom mixture and sauté for a few minutes until the grains of rice become shiny.
7. Pour in the saffron mixture and salt. Add the water and bring the rice to the boil. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cover with a lid. Let the rice cook undisturbed for 15 minutes.
8. Check to see whether the rice is cooked by pressing a couple of grains between your fingers. Remove from heat and set aside. Garish with coriander leaves and serve.
Serve with a curry of your choice, raita and mango chutney.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you have made the recipe and like it, then please do share the recipe link on facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. For Instagram mention @cookwithimtiaz or Tag #cookwithimtiaz