for the MARINADE
250 grams of chicken breast or thigh pieces 1 tbsp ginger paste 1 tbsp garlic paste ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chilli powder or smoked paprika ⅛ tsp turmeric powder ⅛ tsp Salt 1 tsp garam masala 2 tbsp yogurt ½ tsp cumin
for the RICE
2 tbsp oil 1 medium onion thinly sliced 1 medium tomato finely chopped 1 fresh green chilli (optional) or 1/2 tsp red chilli ½ to ¾ tsp salt or to taste 2 tbsp mint, chopped finely 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped finely 1 ½ cups basmati rice 2 ½ cups water or stock
1. Wash basmati rice a few times to get rid of the starch. Then soak it for 20 minutes. This helps to cook the rice grains fluffy. Drain and set aside.
2. Marinate the chicken with ginger & garlic paste, salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala, & yogurt. This helps to tenderise. Set this aside.
3. Heat the oil. Add onions & fresh green or red powdered chilli. Fry stirring often until the onions turn light golden brown.
4. Add the marinated chicken and fry until it is golden brown. This takes around 15 - 20 minutes. Next, add the tomatoes. Fry until the tomatoes turn mushy and cooked through.
5. Add mint and cilantro leaves and fry a minute, then add the water or stock, bring to a boil, add salt and the drained rice and mix well.
6. Cover and cook on a low heat until the water has completely evaporated this should take around 5 mins. fluff up the rice and serve.
Serve with Raita, Mango chutney & Aubergine pickle.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?