This classic, comforting chicken curry is one of those dishes a Pakistani kitchen is incomplete without. This is a versatile and forgiving dish. Use minimal ingredients and whatever spices you have access to to create this hug in a bowl. Pair it with Roti, soft Garlic Nan and or Steamed Rice.
1 kg Chicken, Cut in medium size piece
5 tablespoons Oil
150 g Yogurt whisked well
2 teaspoon Garlic minced or paste
2 teaspoon Ginger minced or paste
2-3 Green chilies finely chopped or crushed
3 Onions medium size, chopped
3 Tomatoes medium size, chopped or grated
3/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
2 teaspoon Coriander Powder
1½ teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
Salt to taste
2 cups Water
1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
Juice of one lemon
Coriander leaves as needed chopped
2 Bay leaves
4 Green cardamom
8 Black peppercorns
1 Cinnamon stick
1. Add oil to a hot pan on medium heat, then dd all the wholes spices and fry for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add ginger, garlic, and green chilies, fry for 30 seconds. Stir to avoid it sticking at the bottom of the pot.
2. Add chopped onions along with some salt and fry on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until soft and pink. Now, add chicken pieces and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and cumin powder. Sauté for another 2 minutes, stir.
4. Add whisked yogurt and mix well, cook for 1 minute. Add 3 cup of water, garam masala powder and mix. Now, put the lid on and cook for 40 minutes on a medium heat.
5. Add lemon juice, coriander leaves and mix. Cover and let the chicken curry rest for 2-3 minutes.
Dish out and serve hot with steamed rice or roti and salad on the side.
Serve with Rice, Roti or Nan.
TRIED AND LOVED THIS RECIPE?