Mattar Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese & Pea Curry)
Indian cottage cheese or Paneer as it is commonly known is a versatile ingredient used in Indian vegetarian cooking. It has a mild flavour which is great as it soaks up all the goodness of spices. Paneer also cooks very quickly which makes it a great choice for a quick paneer tikka or in a curry. Similar to Halloumi in texture and does not disintegrate when simmered in gravies. I’m a huge fan of Indian cheese and all the more as I also rustle up homemade paneer using just a couple of ingredients (milk and lemon juice). It is also readily available in stores now.
2 tbsp Vegetable oil for shallow frying 500gms paneer
for the the CURRY
2 tbsp vegetable oil 2 onions finely chopped 1 tsp ginger paste 1 tsp garlic paste 1 heaped tsp ground cumin 1 heaped tsp ground coriander 1/4 tsp turmeric 1 tsp chilli powder 400g tinned or 4 fresh tomatoes blended to a puree Pinch of brown sugar (optional) Salt to taste 200mls water 200g frozen green peas ½ tsp garam masala powder 2 tbsp coriander for garnish
1. Heat vegetable oil for shallow frying in a pan over a medium heat. Add the paneer cubes in batches and fry. Make sure they get an even colour and go a light brown (this should take around 2-3 minutes) Drain over kitchen paper and set aside. (This step is optional - You can just add the Paneer without frying).
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottom sauce pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and fry for 8 minutes. Stir well as they begin to change colour turn the heat low and add the ginger and garlic paste. Fry well for 2 minutes stirring continuously.
3. Add the cumin, coriander powder along with the turmeric and chilli powder. Fry for a minute and add a splash of water making sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan and continue cooking the raw flavour of the spices for a further minute.
4. Add the blended tomatoes simmer the curry over a low heat for 8-10 minutes with lid on. Stir a couple of times through the cooking process. Add 200mls water along with the (sugar if using) and salt. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on.
5. Add the frozen peas, paneer cubes and the garam masala. Stir well, making sure to coat all the pieces with the sauce. Simmer for 3-4 minutes and turn the heat off. Garnish with coriander and serve.
Serve with paratha or rice and raita.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you have made the recipe and like it, then please do share the recipe link on facebook, twitter & pinterest. For Instagram mention @cookwithimtiaz or Tag #cookwithimtiaz