Tangy and vibrant, this version of dopiaza or ‘double onion’ curry features flavoursome tiger prawns that combine beautifully with the sweet onion puree. It’s easy to prepare and a real crowd-pleaser! Enjoy it with roti, rice or warm nan.
800g Tiger Prawns raw or cooked 1 onion, finely chopped 2 tsp ginger paste 2 tsp garlic paste 2-3 tbsp oil 1/2 tsp turmeric powder 1 tsp KashmirI red chilli powder 1 tsp chilli powder 1 tsp garam masala 1 onions, sliced and fried until golden brown
for the PUREE
2 tbsp tomato puree 200ml pureed onion (2 onions chopped) 1 cup water
1. To make the onion purée, bring a small pan of water to boil and add the 2 chopped onions. Boil until soft, drain and puree with a hand blender or in a food processor. Add the 2 tbsp tomato puree and 1 cup of water and set aside.
2. Heat a large pan on a medium heat. Now add the oil and 1 chopped onion and fry until they turn a golden brown colour.
3. Add the the ginger and garlic paste, turmeric powder, Chilli powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder and stir in well, fry for a couple of minutes.
4. Now add the Tiger Prawns raw or cooked and cook for a minute.
5. Now pour in the tomato and Onion Puree, into the pan and mix well. Turn up the heat until the sauce begins to simmer and leave to simmer for 10 Minutes. Stir occasionally.
6. Finally sprinkle in the garam masala, and stir in the prepared cooked onion and mix well, cook for a further 30 seconds, and serve.
Serve with Rice, Roti or Nan.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?