KEEMA ALOO (Minced Lamb & Potato Curry)
Succulent minced lamb simmered in a rich tomato based sauce with a variety of aromatic spices and tender potatoes makes this dish the absolute favourite in our household.
Paired with roti and it is the ultimate hearty comfort food.
1kg Ground Beef, Mutton or Lamb
6 Medium Potatoes, cubes
4 Tbsp Cooking oil
4 Green Cardamoms
1 Cinnamon stick
6 Black Peppercorns
3 Large Onions, sliced
1 Tbsp Ginger paste
1 Tbsp Garlic paste
4 Medium Tomatoes, pureed
2 Tsp Red chilli powder or to taste
1 Tsp Garam masala powder
1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
1 Tsp Salt or to taste
1 Tsp Coriander powder
1 Tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
1 Chicken stock cube (optional)
1/2 Cup Yogurt, whisked
1/2 Tbsp Dried fenugreek leaves
3 Cups Water or as required
2-3 Fresh Green chillies (optional)
Ginger julienne 1 inch piece
2 Tbs Fresh coriander, chopped
Ginger julienne and fresh coriander leaves for garnish
1. In a pan, add cooking oil, green cardamom, cinnamon stick, black peppercorns and fry for 30 seconds on a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
2. Add the ginger and garlic paste and and fry for 30 seconds. Add the pureed tomatoes, and saute for 4-5 minutes.
3. Add red chilli powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, chicken stock cube and stir fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add yogurt, and cook for 4-5 minutes on a medium heat. Add beef or mutton mince and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until changes colour.
5. Add dried fenugreek leaves, potatoes and water, bring it to boil, cover and cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes. Add green chilies, ginger julienne, fresh coriander and mix well, cover and cook on low flame for 8-10 minutes. Garnish with fresh coriander, ginger julienne and serve.
Serve with Rice, Roti or Nan.
TRIED AND LOVED THIS RECIPE?
If you have tried this recipe and like it, then please do share the recipe link on facebook, twitter & pinterest. For Instagram mention @cookwithimtiaz or Tag #cookwithimtiaz