Kashmiri Dum Aloo is a very popular Kashmiri recipe made using baby potatoes simmered in a yogurt based gravy flavoured with dry ginger powder and fennel. Here is how to make it.
It is also known as Kashmiri Shahi Potato Curry and is simply prepared using baby potato, yogurt and spices like chilli powder, cumin powder, fennel seed powder, ginger, garlic and cardamom powder. While the yogurt forms the creamy base, fennel powder and cardamom gives it a beautiful flavour and different from other yogurt based aloo recipes. Serve this vegetable curry with Naan, roti's or any other flatbread of your choice. It also goes well with Steamed Rice.
500g Baby potatoes
Oil for frying
4 tbsp Mustard oil
2 Kashmiri dry red chilli
2 Black cardamom
2 Green cardamom
5-6 Black peppercorns
1 Onions, Finely chopped
1.5 cups Yogurt (Vegan yogurt or full fat coconut milk)
2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Ginger powder
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Garam masala powder
1/2 tsp Fennel powder
2 tsp gram flour
Salt to taste
1. Wash the baby potatoes and prick them with a fork all around.
2. Heat water in a pan, add 1 tbsp salt in it, bring to boil, and add the potatoes. Boil until soft.
Drain the water and peel the skin of the potatoes.
3. Heat oil for frying in a pan. Deep fry the potatoes till golden brown. Remove them from oil and keep aside.
4. Heat mustard oil in a heavy base pan. When it starts to fume, turn the heat low. Add Kashmiri dry red chilies, cloves, black cardamom, green cardamom and peppercorns and fry for a few seconds.
5. Add onions and fry till golden brown. Whisk yogurt, Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger powder, garlic powder, garam masala powder, fennel powder and gram flour in a bowl. Pour the yogurt mixture in the pan and keep whisking while pouring.
6. Cook until the mixture comes to a boil. Add the potatoes, salt and 2 cups of water.
Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and simmer on low heat for 10-12. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with naan or rice.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?