This mouth-watering restaurant quality dish is perfect for dinner parties. Cooked in the Hyderabadi
style, it features tender, marinated meat in a rich sauce with an exquisite combination of spices. This dish goes perfectly with rice or warm nan.
for the MARINADE
500g Mutton, small pieces, boneless or with bones 1 tsp salt 5 tbsp whisked plain natural yogurt 1/4 tsp turmeric powder 2 tsp coriander powder 1/2 tsp cumin powder 1/2 tsp garam masala powder 3 tbsp coriander leaves chopped 3 tbsp mint leaves chopped 3 green chilies, slit and halved
for the RED PASTE
6 Dry whole red chilies
2 tsp Poppy seeds
1-inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
8 garlic cloves
the rest of the INGREDIENTS
2 large opinions, chopped 4 tbsp oil 3 Green cardamom 2 x 1-inch pieces of cinnamon 3 cloves
2 cups of water salt for seasoning
1. Marinade the Mutton pieces with the Ingredients under Marinade and set aside for 1 hour.
2. Grind the items under red paste. First, dry grind it and then grind it into a paste by adding 3 tbsp water.
3. Heat oil in a large pan. Add the 3 Green cardamoms, 2 x 1-inch pieces of cinnamon and 3 cloves, when it splutters add the chopped onions. Mix and fry on medium heat for around 12 mins until they turn golden brown.
4. Now add the red paste made earlier and fry it on medium heat for 2 mins. Add a pinch of salt and continue frying it on low heat for another 3 mins till oil separates.
5. Now add the marinated mutton & fry on high heat for 5 mins. You can add a splash of water if required, to prevent the spices from sticking in the pan. Continue to fry it on medium heat for a further 5 mins till oil separates.
6. Add 2 cups water, mix and cover with a lid, and cook for 45 - 60 mins on a medium until the mutton is tender.
Serve with Rice, Roti or Nan.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?