This is not a traditional Biriyani but my variation of a healthier option
2 kg Cod cut into 1-inch cubes 1 teaspoon minced ginger 1 teaspoon minced garlic 1 teaspoon red chilli powder 1 teaspoon garam masala 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder 1 teaspoon salt 1 large onion finely diced ¼ cup of coconut oil 1 cup cherry Tomatoes 2 courgettes halved and sliced 1 cup frozen peas 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped (optional) 1/2 fresh lemon to taste (optional) but will enhance the flavour
2 cups of brown rice 1.5 teaspoons salt water - (accordingly to the instructions on your packet of rice)
2 cups plain natural yogurt 1 red onion finely diced 2 tomatoes diced 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
1. Cook 2 cups of Brown Basmati rice according to the instructions on the pack and set aside. (1.5 teaspoons salt)
2. Add the oil a pan then add onions and saute for 5 or until the onions are caramelised. Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, minced ginger, minced garlic, and salt and saute on a medium heat 2 mins.
3. Add courgettes and stir fry for 4-5 mins without covering the pan, then remove them from the pan and set aside, then in the same pan add the cherry tomatoes and peas, a pinch of salt to taste and again stir fry for a couple of mins and remove from the pan and set aside with the courgettes.
4. In the same pan add a little oil, add a pinch salt and chilli powder to taste and carefully fry the fish for 3-4 mins turning, so all the sides are glazed, then remove from the pan and set aside.
5. Now add a teaspoon of oil back to the pan and add the cooked rice, courgettes, and cherry tomatoes and carefully toss together so all the rice is covered and mixed well, now add the fish and garnish with chopped cilantro. Squeeze half a lemon and serve with Raita.
RAITA To make the raita, whisk the yogurt in a medium bowl. Add chopped onions, tomatoes, a pinch of salt and mix well. Garnish with cilantro.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?