for the CHICKEN MARINADE
800 g Chicken breast, cut into cubes
1/2 cup dairy-free coconut yogurt or regular full fat yogurt
2 tablespoon lime juice
2 small garlic clove minced
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon ground garam masala
1 tablespoon ground cumin
for the ALMOND MASALA PASTE
2 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil of your choice 2 medium brown onion finely diced 2 cloves garlic finely chopped 3 tablespoon tomato paste 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger 1 teaspoon garam masala 2 teaspoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon ground coriander 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional) adjust to taste 1/2 teaspoon salt 3 tablespoons ground almonds 2 small tomatoes finely chopped 1/2 cup water 1 cup of warm unsweetened coconut milk 1/4 cup fresh coriander
MARINATE THE CHICKEN
1. In a small mixing bowl, place the diced chicken, yogurt, lime, garlic and add all the marinade spices. Toss until all pieces are well coated with the yogurt marinade. Set aside in the fridge - the longer the better I like to keep it 1 hour in the fridge. Meanwhile, you can prepare the sauce.
2. Preheat oven to 390 F (200 C)
MEANWHILE, PREPARE THE HEALTHY TIKKA MASALA SAUCE
3. In a large frying pan, on medium heat melt the coconut oil. Add the onion and fry for 2-3 minutes until slightly brown and fragrant. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
4. Stir in all the spices: ginger, garam masala, cumin, coriander, chilli, salt, and ground almond. Cook for 1 minute until it forms a paste. Remove from heat. Set aside.
5. Add the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, and water and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce to low heat, cover partially and simmer the sauce until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
BAKE THE MARINATED CHICKEN
6. Place the marinated chicken on a baking tray. Slightly spray the tray with olive oil to avoid the chicken to stick to the tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through/charred. Make sure you stir the chicken pieces a few times while cooking to cook each side properly.
PREPARE THE TIKKA MASALA
7. When the chicken is baked transfer into the pan with the sauce. Return to medium heat and stir in the hot coconut milk.
8. Cover with a lid and