for the MARINADE
750g Chicken with bones, large pieces 1 tsp garlic paste 1 tsp ginger paste 1 tsp Red chilli powder 1 tsp Salt 1/4 tsp turmeric
for the CURRY
2 large onions, chopped 1 tsp garlic paste 1 tsp ginger paste 2 tomatoes, puréed 1-2 small green chilies, chopped (optional for more heat) 1 tsp red chilli Powder 2 tsp coriander powder 1 tsp cumin powder 1/2 tsp garam masala powder 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped 3-4 tbsp Oil 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with the list under Marinade.
2. Add 3 tbsp oil to a medium size pan and heat, Add the marinated chicken and fry on high heat for around 5-8 mins. Now lower the heat to medium and continue to fry for another 10 minutes, remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
3. In the same pan, now add another 3 tbsp of oil tbsp and heat, then add the chopped onions and fry for around 10 mins on medium heat till light brown. Now add the ginger and garlic paste and cook for a further 2 mins on low heat.
4. Now add the turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, and cumin powder. Mix well and fry for 2-3 mins on low/med heat, adding a splash of water to prevent it from sticking if needed.
5. Now add in the tomato purée, and mix and well then add the salt and chopped green chilies (if using) and mix well. cook for around 3-4 mins.
6. Now add the chicken pieces along with the juices to the gravy and mix well, cook on medium heat for around 5- 8 mins till the chicken is coated with the masala and oil separates.
7. Add a cup of water, mix well and cover & cook for around 10 mins till the chicken is cooked through. Lastly add the garam masala powder, mix, and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with Rice, Roti, and Nan.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?