Dal makhani or dal makhni is a dish originating from the Punjab region of the Indian subcontinent. The primary ingredients are whole black lentils, red kidney beans, butter and cream. The dish gets its richness from the use of cream or butter, but it can also be prepared with yogurt, milk or no dairy.
3/4 cup whole urad dal 1/4 cup kidney beans
3.5 cups water 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds 1 onion, finely chopped 1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste 1 teaspoon chilli powder 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder 2 teaspoons coriander powder 1 large tomato, pureed 50g butter/ghee or for vegan option replace with coconut or any other oil of your choice 1/2 cup fresh cream, for vegan option full fat coconut milk or water Salt to taste
1. Keep the dal (the whole urad and the red kidney beans separately) soaked for at least two hours before you plan to actually start preparing the dish. You can also keep them soaked overnight.
2. Add the water to a pan and bring to boil, then add the dal with chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Cook through until the dal is soft.
3. Heat the ghee or butter and cumin seeds and fry for 30 seconds then add the onions and saute for 5 minuets until golden brown.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste, and saute for 30 seconds and then add the pureed tomato and saute for 1 minuet. Next, add the dal (already boiled) mix well and then add a teaspoon of fresh cream at this point.
5. Cook on low heat for about five minutes and stir the ingredients occasionally till they mix well. Garnish it with some coriander leaves and some more butter and cream.
Serve with Paratha, roti or steamed rice
TRIED THIS RECIPE?