CREAMY SAG CURRY (Creamy spinach Curry - Vegan)
Traditionally it can take hours to prepare this authentic creamy SAG dish, but I’ve simplified it without losing any of the traditional flavouring and made it a VEGAN friendly
1 13.5oz. can full-fat coconut milk 8 oz. fresh spinach (or canned spinach) 1 onion roughly chopped 2 cloves garlic minced 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger 2 tbsp olive oil 2 tsp ground cumin 1 tsp garam masala 1/2 tsp turmeric 1-2 tsp chilli powder 1 tsp ground black pepper 2tbsp dried fenugreek leaves 2 tomatoes finely chopped 1/4 cup water 3/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1. Add the coconut milk and spinach to a large pan. Stir and cook over medium heat until the coconut milk is warmed through and has wilted the spinach. Remove from the heat as soon as the spinach has wilted to avoid overcooking the spinach.
2. Transfer the warm coconut milk and spinach to a blender and pulse until the spinach is in small pieces. Set this mixture aside.
3. Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion, minced garlic and the grated ginger and sauté over medium heat until the onions are soft (about 5 minutes).
4. Add the cumin, garam masala, turmeric, chilli powder and black pepper and mix well, cook the spices with the onion, garlic, and ginger for about two minutes more. Add the chopped tomato along with about 1/4 cup water. Stir and cook until the tomato has broken down (it should take around 5-8 minutes).
5. Finally, add the coconut and spinach mixture to the pan and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to heat through, stirring occasionally. Taste the creamed spinach and add salt to taste. Start with 1/4 tsp, adding more as needed until the flavours pop (I added 3/4 tsp). Cook on a low heat for a 3-4 mins, add dried fenugreek and serve.
Serve with rice, nan or roti.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you have made the recipe and like it, then please do share the recipe link on facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. For Instagram mention @cookwithimtiaz or Tag #cookwithimtiaz