for the CHICKEN KOFTA (Meatballs)
1/2 lb ground chicken 1/2 cup roasted chickpea flour 1 cup of spinach, chopped 2 tbsp plain yogurt 1 Egg, whisked 1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
for the COCONUT CURRY SAUCE
1 can coconut milk (I've used full fat but you can use any of your choice) 2 large onion, finely chopped 1 tbsp ginger paste 1 tsp garlic paste 4 tbsp olive oil 2 tbsp fresh cilantro for garnish 1 tsp coconut milk for garnish 1 tsp coriander powder 1 tsp garam masala 1 tsp red chilli powder
Making the KOFTAS
1. In a food processor (with dough attachment) add all the 'Kofta' ingredients and pulse to form a smooth mixture (Takes about a minute).
2. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and make 10 -12 round balls.
3. Place the chicken balls on a plate, cover and keep in the refrigerator for about 30 mins (This will helps the mixture to firm up and prevent kofta's from breaking).
Making the COCONUT CURRY SAUCE
1. Heat a large non-stick pan and add 4 tbsp oil on medium heat and add the onions, mix and cook covered for a few minutes.
2. To this, add ginger & garlic paste, and all the remaining spices and sauté on medium heat till the mixture turns pink and the onions are slightly cooked (6-8 mins).
3. Add coconut milk, mix everything together and cook covered on low heat for 5 minutes. (stirring in between).
4. Now add the meatballs carefully in to the simmering gravy, cover with a lid, lower the heat and let the meatballs cook for about 5 minutes. (Keep an eye on it)
5. After 5 minutes, remove the cover, touch the meatballs using a spatula and they should be cooked. Cook on a low heat for a further 3-4 mins with the lid off. Turn off the heat and garnish with cilantro and coconut milk.
Serve with rice, nan, roti.
TRIED AND LOVED THIS RECIPE?