for the CURRY PASTE
1 tbsp garlic paste heaping 1tbsp ginger paste 1 red chilli, deseeded 2 tsp paprika 1 tsp cumin 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves & stems 2 tbsp lime juice 2 tbsp water 1 tbsp oil or melted coconut oil
for the CHICKEN
1 1/2 Ib boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs 1/2 tsp salt & pepper, each 1 tbsp coconut oil 1 cup red onion finely chopped 1 sliced red bell pepper 1 cup full-fat coconut milk, (or coconut cream) 1/2 cup chicken stock fresh cilantro for garnish
1. For the curry, Paste Add all of the ingredients listed under 'curry paste' to a mini food processor and process until you reach a pasty mixture. The texture should be something similar to a pesto - but a little more grainy.
2. Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic cling wrap and pound them down to make them even in thickness. This will help the chicken cook evenly and make for more tender chicken. Sprinkle each side of the chicken with salt and pepper.
3. Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook each side for 5-7 minutes or until browned on each side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside. The chicken doesn't need to be fully cooked yet because you'll be returning it to the heat shortly.
4. Wipe down the pan with a paper towel to remove brown bits. Add a little more oil back to the pan along with the chopped onion to the same skillet and sauté for a few minutes. Add the bell pepper and sauté for another couple of minutes.
5. Mix in the curry paste and cook for two minutes. Stir in the coconut cream and chicken stock until combined. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce down to a simmer. Let simmer for about 5 minutes to reduce down.
6. Add the chicken back to the skillet, cover, and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
Serve with rice or a bread of your choice.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?