BUTTER CHICKEN (Murgh Makhani)
Butter Chicken is one of the most popular curries at any Indian restaurant around the world. Aromatic golden chicken pieces in an incredible creamy curry sauce, this Butter Chicken recipe is one of the best you will try! You will love how easy it is to make in the comfort of your own home, especially with garlic butter rice and fresh homemade Nan bread.
for the MARINADE
1kg boneless, skinless chicken cut into roughly 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup full-fat plain yogurt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1.5 teaspoons ginger paste
1.5 teaspoons garlic paste
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt to taste
for the SAUCE
10 whole almonds
10 whole cashews
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1.5 teaspoons ginger paste
1.5 teaspoons garlic past
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
4 tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1.5 teaspoons ground garam masala
1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
1. Bring the chicken and the rest of the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.
2. Soak cashews and almonds in water for at least 20 minutes to before preparing the rest of the recipe.
3. Working in batches, remove chicken from the marinade and grill them for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until the chicken is cooked through (clear juice runs out of it when you cut into it). Once cooked, transfer the chicken into a separate dish. Cover and set aside for later.
4. Melt 1.5 tablespoons of the butter in a medium sized pan on medium low heat. As soon as the butter melts, add the ginger garlic paste followed by sugar (optional) Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the tomato and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on medium high heat. The sauce should be a loose, paste-like consistency. Add coriander, garam masala, Kashmiri red chilli, and salt. Stir and cook on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
6. Transfer the paste to a blender and add the soaked cashews and almonds. Blend into a smooth paste.
7. Return the paste to the pan over medium heat. Add the water to the paste and stir to make a smooth sauce. As the sauce begins to boil, add the grilled chicken and heavy cream. Stir well. Cover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter and the dried fenugreek leaves.
Serve with steamed rice, roti, or naan.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you have made the recipe and like it, then please do share the recipe link on facebook, twitter & pinterest. For Instagram mention @cookwithimtiaz or Tag #cookwithimtiaz